Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ch. 9 Conference with Students

This chapter helped ease my mind about conferencing. I too, always seem to become overwhelmed with trying to fit in all the conferences. I like the various types of conferencing that were suggested. It helped me realize that not every conference has to be a "sit down and fix all" meeting. One thing that still remains a puzzle to me is how to get the kids to do most of the editing and fixing. I know that it all boils down to expectations and frontloading, but I have yet to figure out how to raise students' personal level of responsibility. I really liked the description of the term frontloading. It's a concept that I've always been aware of and use but a new term and way to think about preparing the kids for writing. Finally, I think Regie makes a great point about always starting with the positives in a child's work and building a rapport of trust. Children seem so easily turned off with writing that we must make every effort to keep it positive in order for them want to grow as writers.

No comments: